I make this Cream of Vegetable soup about once a week and it tastes different every time. Aka Passata di Verdure, by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi, from the Italian Mama’s Kitchen . The simmering peas take the edge off the store-bought stock. I use what’s on hand. It takes me about 25 minutes to prepare instead of 15 minutes. Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
My family made this soup often, using any vegetables that were fresh and available. Any seasonal, leftover vegetables were combined and the quantities always varied. This is one combination that we enjoyed frequently.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes / COOKING TIME: 40 minutes / SERVES: 4
2 medium carrots, trimmed and peeled
2 small zucchini, trimmed
3 small potatoes
1 small bunch (about 1/2 ounce) Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 bay leaves
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
4 cups Chicken Stock
1/2 cup fresh peas
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the carrots, zucchini, and potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes.
- Place the parsley on a piece of cheesecloth. Using a kitchen string, tie the ends of the cheesecloth together to form a bag.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the carrots, zucchini and potatoes and saute for 10 minutes. Add bay leaves and garlic. Stir well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the saucepan. Add the parsley and peas. Simmer over low hear for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the parsley and bay leaves. Transfer the stock to a blender or a food processor. Blend until the mixture is of a consistency you desire. Return the soup to the saucepan to reheat before service and add salt and pepper t taste. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.