Like so many of us, Mom is looking for low calorie, high flavour meals that are quick and nutritious. Her version of a weekday Eggs Benedict can incorporate anything you feel like putting on the muffin before adding the egg, like thin slices of lox, spinach, etc. It’s good for breakfast, lunch or dinner and shitake mushrooms add lots of flavour and a crispy, meaty texture.
2 eggs – poached
2 tbsp white vinegar
Low fat sourdough muffins – toasted
Your favourite cheese, sliced very thin with a cheese slicer – I use strong white cheddar
4 shitake mushrooms, sliced very thin and sauted in a non stick pan.
*DON’T add salt to anything there is plenty in cheese
Before you start cooking the eggs, have the following ready:
Boil water and add about 2 tbsp white vinegar in a small frying pan.
Slice muffins and put in toaster
1. Toast muffins
2. Turn on broiler
3. Break eggs carefully into boiling water with vinegar so yolks don’t break. Set timer for 3 minutes for runny yolks and firm whites (longer if you want a firm yolk). Spoon hot water over yolks a couple of times while they are poaching.
4. Remove muffins from toaster and put on plate
5. Fix your coffee
6. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel for a few seconds to absorb the water, so muffins don’t get wet, and place eggs on muffins
7. Place a few slices of cheese on top of eggs
8. Place plate under broiler until the cheese melts – don’t walk away this is fast. Use glove to remove plate from oven
9. Garnish with mushrooms