Source: Ottolenghi SIMPLE: A Cookbook, by Yotam Ottolenghi with Tara Wigley and Esme Howarth, Page 212-213, copyright 2018.
This was delicious with roasted baby carrots with harissa and pomegranate.
Makes one loaf, serves 6 – 8
1 zucchini, roughly chopped (1 1/2 cups/160g)
1 carrot, roughly chopped (2/3 cup/100g)
1 large onion, roughly chopped (1 cup/180g)
3 small tomatoes:
1 roughly chopped
2 coarsely grated and skin discarded (3/4 cup/180g)
1 lb 2 oz/500g ground lamb
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 oz/80g pecorino, finely grated
1 cup/50g fresh white (from about 2 slices, crusts left on if soft)
2 large eggs
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground allspice
1/3 cup/100g tahini
1 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp/70 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease an 8 x 4 inch/20 x 10cm loaf pan with a little oil.
- Place the zucchini, carrot, onion and chopped tomato in the bowl of a food processor and blitz to combine; you want the consistency to be similar to that of the ground lamb. Transfer the vegetables to a sieve set over a bowl and squeeze them to get rid of as much liquid as possible. Put the vegetables int a large bowl with the ground lamb, 2 of the garlic cloves, the pecorino, breadcrumbs, eggs, tomato paste, cumin, allspice, and 1 tsp salt. ring the mixture together until well combined, then transfer to the loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan inside a high-sided baking dish. Carefully fill the baking dish with enough boiling water to rise halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the meatloaf is cooking, prepare the tahini sauce. ut the tahini, the remaining 2 garlic cloves, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp salt into a medium bowl. Slowly whisk the water until you get a smooth, thick sauce. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Once the meatloaf has cooked, remove the pan from the water bath and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Drain away and discard the liquid and fat from the loaf pan, then, using a wide spatula, transfer the meatloaf to a platter. Pour one-third of the tahini sauce over the meatloaf, followed by one-third of the grated tomato.
- Serve warm, with the remaining tahini and tomato alongside, or leave to cool and cut into slices to serve in sandwiches.