Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
Gingerbread and baked goodness fills the kitchen. Add candied ginger to punch up the already spicy flavor. For mixed spice, use pumpkin pie spice, if you have some on hand. One reviewer suggested a mixture of 1/4 tsp each of: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and cloves. My version, the first of many also has a couple pinches of sweet garam masala mixture. See if you can wait until the loaf cools before digging in. We didn’t.
1 3/4 tbsp (20 ml/ 50 g) butter
1 tablespoon (15 ml) golden syrup
1/2 cup (109 g) brown sugar
1 cup (140 g) plain flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
2 teaspoons (10 ml)ginger powder
1 teaspoon (5 ml) mixed spice (see above)
1/4 cup (62 ml) chopped candied ginger* (optional)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
3/4 cup (188 ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
2. Grease and flour a loaf tin. Line the bottom with baking paper.
3. In a medium saucepan, gently melt the butter and golden syrup together.
4. In a mixer cream together egg, and sugar – mix well.
5. Add the melted syrup mixture to the egg and sugar mixture
6. Sift and mix in all other ingredients except the baking soda and milk. If adding the candied ginger, coat thoroughly in the flour mixture so the pieces don’t sink to the bottom.
7. Mix the baking soda with the milk then gradually stir this into the mix. The mixture will be quite runny.
8. Pour into loaf tin and cook for about 35 minutes or until ready when tested with skewer.
Cool completely before cutting.
* Not in original recipe taken from food.com