- 150g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Orange: finely grate the zest to 1 tsp, then juice to get 1tbsp
- 2 limes: juice 1 to get 1 tbsp, cut the other into wedges to serve
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 1/2 tbsp barberries (or currants soaked in1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 tsp fennel seed, lightly toasted and crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 70g unsalted butter
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 whole trout, gutted and scaled ( ask your fishmonger to do this for you (1.5 lb/ 700g)
- 10g coriander leaves, finely shredded
- salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 475° F.
- Put the tomatoes into a medium bowl with the orange zest, orange juice, lime juice, maple syrup, barberries, fennel seeds , oil, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper. Mix , then set aside.
- In a small pan, gently warm the butter with the garlic a medium baking tray, spaced apart. Sprinkle the top, bottom and cavity of each fish with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Pour the butter mixture all over the trout, making sure it covers both sides as well as the cavity. Roast in the oven for 18 – 20 minutes, basting once, until the fish is just cooked.
- Serve the fish on the baking tray or arrange on plates, spooning over some of the cooking juices. Stir the coriander into the salsa and spoon over the fish. Serve with the lime wedges alongside.