Jay made us a wonderful dinner. It was a treat with a hint of sunnier places and flavours. The recipe says it serves 4, but adjust it down to 3! If you use prawns instead of shrimp, adjust the cooking time a little.
1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 -4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 cups hot cooked brown rice
1 lime, cut in wedges
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes; add tomatoes with liquid and the jalapeno pepper; simmer approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir to blend; whisk into the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute then stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls, and top with equal portions of the shrimp and vegetable mixture.
- Garnish each dish with lime wedges and serve.