For an alcohol free version, replace the vermouth with a different poaching liquid. The butter cause can flavoured differently or left out.
- 4 sole fillets (3 to 4 ounces each)
- 8 very thin lemon slices, remove seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1.5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- Coarse salt
- Place the vermouth in a large lidded skillet. Fold each fillet into thirds. Arrange in skillet and season with salt and ground pepper. Lay two overlapping lemon slices on each piece of fish.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer gently up fish is opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. With a spatula, transfer fish to serving plates.
- Bring the liquid in skillet to a boil. Reduce to 1/3 cup, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and remove from heat. Whisk in butter until smooth. Season with salt. Spoon over fish and garnish.