1 2 ounce package dried ancho chiles or dried pepper of your choice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped or 2 tsp dried oregano
4 large garlic cloves
1/2 red onion, quartered or 3.6 oz chopped white onion
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 lbs skirt steak or pork tenderloin
- Soak dry chilies in water overnight or until soft. Remove seeds. Add all ingredients except meat in food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Spread mixture over meat and refrigerate at least one hour, up to 24 hours.
- Heat grill to about 400° F. Grill meat about 4 minutes per side, depending upon thickness, until done.
- If cooking in the oven, heat oven to 400° F. Heat a small amount of oil in ovenproof skillet or grill pan over medium heat and sear the meat 1 – 2 minutes per side. Salt meat to taste. Place skillet or grill pan in the oven. Cook about 12 – 15 minutes. The internal temperature should be 165° F.
- Let the meet rest for 10 minutes. Serve
Adapted from Ancho Chile Marinade on food.com