I’ve made this Gingerbread cookie recipe countless times. A tsp of fresh grated ginger makes a spicier, more gingery cookie. Adjust the other spices to suit.
2 1/2 cups (325 g) all-purpose flour*
2 1/4 tsp (11.25 ml) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground allspice
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) cinnamon or Garam Masala
1/8 tsp (0.625 ml) ground pepper (optional)
1 tsp (5 ml) fresh grated ginger, liquid squeezed out* (Optional)
3/4 cup (170 g/6 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (100 g/3.5 oz) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) packed light-brown sugar
6 tbsp (120 g) cooking molasses
1 large egg
1/3 cup (67g) sugar for coating
Sparkling sugar (optional)
*Add 1 Tbsp flour if using fresh grated ginger
- Preheat oven to 350° C / 180° F, one rack in the middle or two racks in lower and upper thirds. Line two baking sheets with Cookina baking sheets or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, allspice and pepper if using.
- Cream butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and fresh grated ginger if using. With mixer on low, gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined. Flatten into a rectangle, wrap in plastic, and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 48 even sized squares. Roll them into a ball. Pour the 1/3 cup sugar on a plate. Coat the ball in the sugar and place on parchment paper, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart , 12 to a sheet. Flour an object with a flat, smooth bottom and press the balls into a uniform height. Sprinkle extra sugar on top (optional). If you have sparkling sugar on hand, sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for another 5 to 6 minutes, about 10 minutes in total.
If you are using a measuring cup, spray the inside with non-stick spray or coat lightly with oil before you measure out molasses.
Adapted from the Giant Ginger Cookies recipe, marthastewart.com